The FTTH Design Engineering Manager is responsible for creating and reviewing OSP designs and engineering documents to support FastBridge Fiber’s rapid expansion into new service areas. The FTTH Engineering Manager will manage FTTH construction engineering vendors. The successful engineering candidate must possess a solid understanding of FTTH technology and applicable engineering practices.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Select and manage FTTH construction engineering vendors
- Negotiate FTTH engineering vendor agreement terms and rates
- Review FTTH designs to ensure they meet FastBridge’s design standards
- Manage and guide the FTTH vendor during projects assuring engineering work is completed on time, meeting network build-out goals, and within financial parameters
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, and other geographic information for consideration in FTTH network designs
- Set parameters with FTTH vendors such as aerial vs buried, number of road crossings, and capacity of OLT cabinets, to build cost-effectively and to maximize return on invested capital
- Determine construction materials to be used to minimize cost per passing, while also considering field operations and installation efficiencies
- Oversee the comprehensive FTTH network layout including cabinet placement, cabinet sizing, distance, resiliency design for future expansion, back-bone, splitter standards, splicing and fiber utilization parameters
- Conduct field verification drive-outs once engineering prints are finalized to assure constructability
- Partner with the construction team when engineering redesigns are necessary during construction
- Incorporate the best XGS-PON design along with most resilient cabinet design based on fiber backbone options
- Provide weekly reports, updates, and project milestones
- The successful candidate will:
Show a reduction in errors and design changes during construction
- Meet cost and passing targets
- Optimize passings in targeted areas
- Produce designs that allow FastBridge to build quickly based on the geography
- Produce designs that avoid unanticipated costs based on local municipality ordinances
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
- Ability to communicate with employees, customers, and suppliers, in person, on video conference, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straightforward, and professional manner.
- Ability to effectively lead and provide managerial insight and direction to a technically oriented workforce dealing with multiple projects.
- Advanced knowledge of FTTH engineering and construction practices.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure.
- Some travel within FastBridge’s coverage areas may be required.
Please note that the required qualifications are not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Industry and vendor-specific certifications and training is a plus.
- 3-5 years of telecom fiber engineering experience.